- Systems/Network Engineer with over 15 years of experience designing, implementing and administering Linux/Windows environments
- Practiced in security-focused network design for critical networks with strict uptime requirements
- Internal Security Assessor (ISA) certified by the Payment Card Industry (PCI) council
CITIZENSHIP AND CLEARANCE STATUS
- S. Citizen
- TOP SECRET/SCI-eligible clearance
- Active Public Position of Trust (5C) clearance
Platforms: CentOS/Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Cisco IOS, Sun Solaris, VMware vSphere 5.5, Windows Server 2008/2012, Windows 8
Software: Active Directory, Apache Web Server, Apache Tomcat, CiscoWorks LAN Management tools, Cisco Security Manager, HP OpenView Network Node Manager, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft IIS, Oracle 11g Databases, Oracle MySQL, RADIUS servers, Secure Computing Sidewinder firewalls, Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor, VEEAM Backup & Replication, Veritas NetBackup, Virtual Private Networking (VPNs), VMware vSphere
Hardware: Avocent KVM over IP systems, Blue Coat Secure Gateways, Cisco Adaptive Security Appliances (ASA), Cisco routers and switches, HP/Compaq/Dell x86 servers and desktop systems, Sun Microsystems servers and workstations, TACLANE network encryption devices
Nelnet Business Solutions, Omaha, NE (Dec 2011 – Present)
Senior Infrastructure/Network Security Engineer
- Responsible for maintaining 300+ UNIX, Linux, and Windows servers, as well as administering an extensive cryptographic and networking equipment infrastructure
- Designed Payment Card Industry (PCI)-compliant system safeguards for multiple business-critical products, directly securing over $200 million dollars of financial transactions
- Introduced system orchestration/automation solution, reducing scheduled maintenance downtimes by 66%
- Architected and managed business-critical production datacenter migration, to include virtualization of system infrastructure while complying with 99.9% system uptime requirements
ISYS Technologies, Strategic Air Command, Offutt AB, NE (Aug 2009 – Dec 2011)
Systems Administrator II
- Responsible for maintaining 20+ Unix, Linux, and Windows servers, as well as administering an extensive cryptographic and networking equipment infrastructure.
- Ensured reliability and data integrity of Ballistic Missile Defense System (BMDS), providing critical, real-time threat data directly to the Secretary of Defense.
- Coordinated 20+ training sessions between international BMDS assets, facilitating over 600 man-hours of crew training and providing comprehensive demonstration of missile defense capabilities to ally nations.
- Drafted and implemented message monitoring script, eliminating potential 8-hour delay in alert message processing.
TEKsystems, Inc., Strategic Air Command, Offutt AB, NE (Apr 2009 – Aug 2009)
- Responsible for overseeing night shift support for the STARS system, consisting of over 30mission-critical UNIX, Windows 2000, and Windows 2003-based servers.
- Monitored and maintained system servers and network assets, resulting in a 100% system uptime rate.
TEKsystems, Inc., Strategic Air Command, Offutt AB, NE (Aug 2008 – Apr 2009)
Network Engineer/Project Lead
- Responsible for performing Tier 2 and Tier 3 network support/troubleshooting, including the management of Sidewinder firewalls, Blue Coat proxy servers, and CISCO network device configuration.
- Planned and implemented the replacement of 165 outdated network switches – originally a 12 month project – in under six months.
- Implemented a new, more efficient system of switch management, cutting network switch address and uplink requirements by 50%.
USAF, 704th Munitions Communications Support Flight, Ghedi AB, Italy (Nov 2005 – Mar 2008)
Systems Administration Section, Team Lead
- Led System Administration team of five inexperienced personnel; responsible for local network infrastructure, management of Windows 2000/2003 servers, as well as first line support for 150+ customers.
- Team responsibilities included Active Directory administration, creating user accounts, setting up corresponding exchange accounts, managing groups/organizational units, and Group Policy settings.
- Emphasized technician and customer education, resulting in a 99.9% network up-time rate with zero virus/illegal software incidents originating locally.
- Planned and executed revitalization of outdated equipment, purchasing and installing $220K of user workstations, $100k of server hardware, and $70k of network infrastructure.
- Recognized numerous times by Air Force inspection agencies for excellent user support and site management.
USAF, 1st Combat Communications Squadron, Ramstein AFB, Germany (Apr 2003 – Oct 2005)
Network Operations Technician
- Lead network security/defense technician.
- Primary contact for Sidewinder firewall, Blue Coat proxy server, and CISCO network equipment configuration and troubleshooting.
- Designed and implemented in-house network training lab and provided 35+ personnel hands-on training in over 550 job-related tasks.
- Consulted on the creation of Air Force-wide, mobile communications suite for remote locations; reduced both personnel and equipment requirements by 75% with no loss of system capabilities.
- Maintained an inventory of $24.5 million worth of communications equipment with 100% item accountability, while tracking and validating system updates and equipment repair.
Bellevue University (December 2012)
Bachelor of Science in System and Network Administration
Community College of the Air Force (March 2008)
Associates Degree in Information Systems Technology
A+ , Network+ , Server+ , Security+ , Certified Virtualization Expert (CVE) , PCI Internal Security Assessor (ISA) , MCTS: Network Infrastructure (In Progress)
Computer Systems Operations Craftsman (USAF 3C0), Service Restoration Team (SRT), Root Cause Analysis (RCA), CISCO Network Academy (CNA), Windows NT Server (winnt), Microsoft Windows 2003 (win2k3/windows 2k3), Active Directory (AD), Microsoft-based DNS/DHCP servers, Microsoft Exchange 2003, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (win2k8/windows 2k8), Microsoft Windows Server 2012 (win2012), Microsoft Windows 2000 (win2k/windows 2k), Microsoft Windows XP Professional (winxp pro), Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (win7/win7 pro), Microsoft Windows 8 (win8), UNIX Systems Operation, Linux distributions (debian/fedora/redhat/centos/ubuntu), Remote Desktop, remote access/administration (telnet/ssh/ftp/sftp), Virtual Network Computing (VNC), Local Area Network administration (LAN), Wide Area Networks management (WAN), Virtual Private Network management (VPN), CISCO network equipment, CISCO hardware-based network security, Blue Coat Secure Gateway Proxy Server (ProxySG), DSView KVM Management, Hummingbird Exceed PC X Server, Tactical Local Area Network Encryption (TACLANE), TrueCrypt Disk Encryption software, CISCOWorks LAN Management Solution (LMS), HP OpenView Network Node Manager (OV NNM), Video Teleconference Systems (VTC), Whale Internet Access Gateway (IAG / UAG), Server Virtualization, Voice-over-IP (VOIP)